Matt: 2 years at $8 a year
i guess i mistyped
me: "As for Guzman, he is now signed through 2010. He'll make $8 million each of the next two years"
Matt: thats what i meant
me: thats terrible
Matt: its not my money
me: yes it is
Matt: o wait youre right
4 comments:
Is it really terrible? I mean Lugo makes $9 million...wouldn't you say that Guzie might be a little more valuable then Lugo? Michael Young makes $15 million, and he might deserve that, but Guzie is at least half as valuable as Michael Young. I feel comfortable with the sample size saying Guzman is an above average SS, and while $8 million might be a shade higher than I was thinking ($6.5-$7 million), I think the flexibility of a 2 year deal makes it worth it.
Lugo isn't a guy you wanna point out for justifying a free agent signing.
I know, but my point is that everybody is complaining about how $8 million is too much for Guzie, because he is about a league average SS. But the truth is a 2 year contract for $8 MM per is about dead on for a slightly above average SS, which I think Guzie is. Now if it were 4 years/$8 MM per, that'd be a joke, but I just don't think people realize what a league average SS is worth. I mean Renteria makes $9 MM this year and you can't say he's that much better than Guzman.
It's a mixed bag for me. I think 8 million is too much for a guy who's power numbers are getting worse, and is due for a batting average drop soon. I agree that two years is the key. I like the guy, and he is good for the team, but I think what frustrates me the most is that we will invest in Guzie but won't shell out that money for a free agent.
Now, a free agent or Guzie is not part of "The Plan" for the most part, but at least get a name that people may recognize and may put a few more people in the stadium. I just don't get how this team invests its money.
Post a Comment